The Smrodcat’s Guide To Buying An Automatic Cat Feeder
Imagine this: you are currently planning to make a perfect out-of-town getaway for a weekend, let me describe you one of the several possible scenarios. You will reserve your favorite spa retreat, pack your finest lingerie, wax your legs, do your nails, pack all your necessities and then finally – cancel the trip.
I’m guessing you don’t like the direction in which this is going.
But, you can’t just let your cat starve while you enjoy yourself in a luxury hotel. It would be heartless and cruel. So, if you don’t solve this cat feeding issue, no more relaxing weekends for you.
Fortunately for you, there are a few ways to prevent this worst case scenario:
- You can always ask an old neighbor to feed your feline beauty. She would probably be glad to help. Of course, you will have to return the favor and feed the old lady when she gets sick. That is too much of a price to pay just for one weekend.
- You can take your cat to a boarding cattery. This can be a really traumatic experience for your pampered beauty. Cats are very territorial, so she might wind up meowing all night because she is away from her familiar environment. This can also cost you a good amount of money, especially if you have more than one cat. Plus, this is not a permanent solution, so it can get costly if you travel frequently.
- Finally, you can buy an automatic cat feeder. This will be the one time cost and you will not have to return the favor to anyone. For now, an automatic cat feeder sounds like the most reasonable solution.
There are of course many more reasons why to use an automatic cat feeder. Some cats are too skinny and require extra feeding. Others eat too much and need to be put on special diets.
Benefits of Using an Automatic Cat Feeder
There are different types of an automatic cat feeders on the market. Timed cat feeders are very practical because they will allow you to control not just daily, but hourly calorie intake of your four-legged friend.
Control of Caloric Intake
This is very important because cats are prone to binge eating, and when you leave too much food for them, some of them will literally eat to death.
Even without this catastrophic outcome, the idea that your kitty looks and acts like Garfield can be a bit disturbing. If you set an automatic cat feeder to certain time intervals and portions, you will know that your furry family member has the right amount of food all the time.
From the medical point of view, obesity in cats can be a huge problem. It can lead to serious health issues like arthritis, joint pain, fatty liver, heart problems and it can also put an additional pressure on the lungs and blood vessels. Pet obesity is the #1 killer right now. It can shorten your pet’s life expectancy by up to 2.5 years!
If you notice that your cat should go on a diet, get an automatic cat feeder and ask a vet to recommend the right amount of food per meal.
You can program an automatic cat feeder to provide certain portions in planned time intervals.
Besides the calorie restriction, your kitty will need an increase in physical activity in order to lose weight or keep the perfect figure and stay healthy. Cat toys can be a great way to engage your feline beauty into her daily fitness routine.
There is one more problem which you can solve if you buy high-quality automatic cat feeder.
I can give you a hint.
Does meowing for food at 5 AM sound familiar to you and your neighbors? While cats are nocturnal animals, humans like to seize the day. You can easily overcome that difference in bio-rhythms by setting an automatic cat feeder to your cats’ favorite feeding time.
Cats like to stick to their habits, so it will be easy for you to choose a perfect timing and set the automatic cat feeder. This will kill two birds with one stone. You will be able to sleep like a baby and your cat will be well fed and content.
Things to Look for When Choosing an Automatic Cat Feeder
Before you pick the right automatic cat feeder for your pet, take several things into a consideration:
- An automatic cat feeder should be heavy enough. If it is too light, it might wind up turned over during your kitty’s desperate attempts to take the food out. So choose an automatic cat feeder which is cat proof.
- Pay attention to the noise level. If an automatic cat feeder is too noisy it might scare the kitty in the beginning, so it will be harder for her to become accustomed to the new feeding routine.
- Check for the option of recording a short personal message which will be played when it’s time for a meal. If your cat has suppressed appetite, this kind of an automatic cat feeder might do the trick. Your voice can trigger the digestive glands to produce saliva and increase the feeling of hunger. You have probably heard of Pavlov’s theory of the conditioned reflex.
- Check if you can use wet and/or dry food. Some models allow just one type of food. Others have theability to dispense treats as well.
- Does it come with a backup battery for power outages? This is especially important if your cats will be alone for a prolonged period of time.
- Is it easy to clean? Remember, you’re dealing with food here. It can get stuck and start to rot. Regular cleaning is important. Look for automated dispensers with removable parts. If they are dishwasher safe, even better.
- Does it have internet access? Some cat food dispensers have applications so you can take control over what to feed, when to feed and how to feed. Simpler models you have to program first.
- Also, stay away from DIY timed cat feeders since they are not safe enough. If they jam, your kitty will starve. Instead, go for a top-of-the-notch automatic cat feeder from a well-trusted manufacturer.
- And finally, if you care about the look of your personal space, find an automatic cat feeder with modern design.
Feline Psychology and Automatic Cat Food Dispensers
If you are a real cat person, you already know that every feline has a mind of its own.
Some cats are timid while others like to be the center of attention. Some are lapcats, some are like to run around.
Regardless to individual character, all kitties have the one thing in common: they like to be loved.
Remember that no automatic cat feeder can be a replacement for the precious moments you spend together.
Your cat sees the feeding ritual as a kind of bonding between the two of you, so it would be recommended to give her, at least, one meal in an old fashion way.
It will show her that you are still willing to provide her food (and clean her litter box). She will thank you with content purring and rubbing against your legs. And occasionally a gift from a hunting trip.
Extra tips to help you with an automatic cat feeder
I hope that by now you already know what kind of an automatic cat feeder you want to buy.
- To make sure that your kitty stays healthy, clean the bowl with a dishwashing detergent on a regular basis, at least every other day.
- Don’t forget to check the batteries regularly, if your automatic cat feeder doesn’t have an AC power cord. Make sure that everything works properly before you decide to leave the house. Or just get one with a build-in back-up battery, so you’ll always be safe.
Fur the sake of your kitty! Then you can be carefree, knowing that she is well-fed and happy.